9.06.2009

Favorite Place: Dusty Groove America




It's true that Chicago is known for its shopping. I try and do my patriotic part to single-handedly kick-start the economy--but if you take a look at my ragged shoes and then the racks of vinyl and compact discs we keep in the apartment, you know that I usually spend any surplus income on music. I like it soulful, I like it spicy, and I devour it.

Chicago is not lacking in great record stores, but my favorite has to be Dusty Groove America. You won't find the new Coldplay single here--but you will find CD reissues and vinyl records of forgotten soul music, psychedelic guitar fuzz from turkey, jazz and funk from ethiopia, and deep cuts from Brazil. There's too much good and interesting music to find here. Their selection is global, and they focus on the interesting side-streets that don't get explored by Putumayo and Starbucks compilations. Here you'll find the reggae that goes beyond B.Marley and pot-leaf posters. You can even strike gold by picking out something just for the crazy and weird album cover. Watch those fingers!

wrd,
rodrigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ding-dong